Saturday, November 7, 2009

December Daily album project!

Want a simple yet creative way to remember the daily happenings, traditions and memories surrounding the holiday season? Pre-decorate an album with 25 (or more) pages, then keep it out where your whole family can access it during December to jot down journal entries, add ticket stubs, photos, and more while the event/day is still fresh in mind. Here's what mine looks like:


This inspirational idea was originated by Ali Edwards and she has step-by-step instructions and examples on her website (aliedwards.com). At a recent scrapbooking retreat, I was inspired by my friend and fellow scrapbook aficionado, Jennifer. She has completed 3 of these December Daily albums...she keeps the previous year's in a bowl on her coffee table so her family can relive holidays past as well as the new one they add to daily during the month of December.

Here is a peek inside my December Daily album:


Each page is numbered. I added a few journaling boxes to the dates I thought would be appropriate but to most of the pages I'll add journal boxes as the day unfolds.

I can't wait to show you the completed pages! The trick is to complete as much as possible ahead of time so that during the busy holidays, you can write in it as you would a journal. This is meant to be fun and creative, not a stressful "nother-thing-to-do!"


I started with trimming plain cardstock to 6.75" x 6.75" - just a random choice...feel free to make yours as big or small as you want.


i liked this size because the pages easily fit into my 3-hole-punch using the bottom 2 hole-punches:

You may want to wallpaper your pages first (adhere pretty Christmas or Hanukkah papers trimmed to size). My friend Jennifer and Ali Edwards both were way more creative than I - using chipboard, acrylic pages, envelopes, etc... I'm sure next year I will branch out a bit but with the limited supplies I had on hand, I just wanted to keep it simple and get it done.


I do like this very first page with advent paper...the open window is actually labeled "1" for December 1st, I'll use the lined paper opposite to write some reflections on our first December Daily album and maybe some hopes and dreams for this Christmas season.
I am saving the kids Christmas Wish Lists too and what better place to tuck those into than this little December Daily album! How fun, years from now, to look back on these December journals.

What about you? What are some ways you are going to remember this magical season? I would love to hear your traditions - please leave a comment.

Happy Scrappin',

:DL

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Just starting my first December daily album (paper + digital). Tks for sharing!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete